RME ADI-2 DAC is one of the best sounding or audio equipment with a ton of quality features. DACs are all about the timing and noise; it converts the zeros and digital ones into the audio electrical signals. ADI-2 DAC chip is breathtaking at offering better sound resulting in quality.
There is a freshly-cut diamond to offer every single element of the song precisely with incredible realism. It supports audio files up to 768kHz, which produce genuine and natural sound. And it is an impressive performance at this price range. The audio industry is highly competitive; many companies simply upgrade to a newer version and sell it for a higher price. However, DI-2 DAC is the original, and it sounds perfect.
RME ADI-2 DAC Review
RME ADI-2 DAC is also a headphone amplifier with a couple of unique elements known as Extreme Power. This Dac and headphone amplifier has a super responsive display with a bright black unique look. Check out the detailed review and measurement of this updated version.
While talking about its performance, many features can be ignored, such as two different headphone outputs, automatic detection and settings, built-in parametric EQ, and a highly informative display. White LEDs contain the power button, the central rotating controller and the backlight for the switches. These all features produced an outstanding performance.
DAC Audio Measurements
Let’s start with the 1 kHz tone and measure that comes out of the XLR balanced connectors. The distortion level is at -130 dB, and the Noise level is more powerful though and controls, producing in SINAD of 115 dB. ADI-2 is a pro unit, and it creates a much higher output level than the older version.
Although the IMD test is excellent, the output level also affects it in the dynamic range.
Headphone Amplifier Measurements
As there is no analogue input, so these measurements combine the DAC performance and the headphone amplifier. The digital volume control indicates that channel matching is outstanding, unlike analogue solutions. Bose 301 is also a good addition for music lovers.
Power measurement is 300 ohm, and the 310 milliwatts of power into 300 ohms is excellent. It intimates that it can manage high impedance headphones with ease. There is an IEM output to use on low power mode for getting lower noise.
Super Low Noise for IEM lovers
The headphone revolution brought headphones and IEMs (in-ear monitors) back into audiophiles and music lovers’ attention. Modern IEMs have a reference sound that competes with heavy over-ear headphones, presenting them with a mobile alternative and an exciting home solution. These IEMs operate on a very low voltage as these are extremely sensitive.
Multi-Remote Support (MRC)
ADI-2 DAC comes with a remote that is readable labeled buttons and not the usual cheap add-on. The remote control presents buttons for standby volume control, on/off, bass and treble, balance, input selection, on/off loudness, mute, and EQ.
With the help of four programmable buttons, users can access a wide range of functions and controls.
- Lock Range: 28 kHz – 200 kHz
- Jitter suppression: > 50 dB (2.4 kHz)
- Jitter while synced to input signal: < 1 ns
- ADAT compatible
- ANALOG OUTPUTS
- 1 x optical, according to IEC 60958
- High-sensitivity input stage: < 0.3 Vpp
- 1 x RCA, according to IEC 60958
- AES/EBU compatible (AES3-1992)
- Output: 6.3 mm TS jack, unbalanced
- Output impedance: 100 Ohm
- Output level 6 dB lower than XLR (-5 dBu to +13 dBu @ 0 dBFS)
- Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) @ -5 dBu: 112 dB RMS unweighted, 114 dBA
- Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) @ +1/+7 dBu: 116/119 dB RMS unw., 119/122 dBA
- Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) @ +13 dBu: 120 dB RMS unweighted, 123 dBA
- Channel separation: > 120 dB
- Output impedance: 200 Ohm
- THD @ 0 dBFS: < -120 dB, 0.0001 %
- THD+N @ 0 dBFS: -116 dB, 0.00016 %
- Frequency response @ 44.1 kHz, -0.1 dB: 0 Hz – 20.2 kHz
- Frequency response @ 96 kHz, -0.5 dB: 0 Hz – 44.9 kHz
- Frequency response @ 192 kHz, -1 dB: 0 Hz – 88 kHz
- Frequency response @ 384 kHz, -1 dB: 0 Hz – 115 kHz
- Frequency response @ 768 kHz, -3 dB: 0 Hz – 109 kHz
- Output level switchable +19 dBu, +13 dBu, +7 dBu, +1 dBu @ 0 dBFS
- Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) @ +1 dBu: 117 dB RMS unweighted, 120 dBA
- Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) @ +7/+13/+19 dBu: 120 dB RMS unweighted, 123 dBA
- Output impedance: 0.1 Ohm
- Output: 6.3 mm TRS jack, unbalanced, stereo
- Max power @ 0.001% THD: 1.5 W per channel
- THD @ +14 dBu, 16 Ohm load, 0.94 Watt: -110 dB, 0.0003 %
- THD+N @ + 18 dBu, 32 Ohm Load: -114 dB, 0.0002 %
- THD @ +18 dBu, 32 ohm load, 1.2 watts: -120 dB, 0.0001 %
- Output level at 0 dBFS, High Power, load 100 Ohm or up: +22 dBu (10 V)
- Output level at 0 dBFS, Low Power, load 8 Ohm or up: +7 dBu (1.73 V)
- Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) @ +22 dBu: 120 dB RMS unweighted, 123 dBA
- Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) @ +7 dBu: 118 dB RMS unweighted, 121 dBA
- Output level at 0 dBFS: -3 dBu, 0.55 V
- Clocks: Internal, SPDIF In
- Idle current at 12 V: 570 mA (6.8 Watts)
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 215 x 52 x 150 mm (8.5″ x 2.05″ x 5.9″)
- Weight: 1.0 kg ( 2.2 lbs)
- Temperature range: +5° up to +50° Celsius (41° F up to 122°F)
- Relative humidity: < 75%, non condensing
- Signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) @ -3 dBu: 118 dB RMS unweighted, 121 dBA
- Max power, 8 Ohm, 0.001% THD: 40 mW per channel
- Jitter suppression of external clocks: > 50 dB (2.4 kHz)
- Effective clock jitter influence on DA conversion: near zero
- Supported sample rates for external clocks: 28 kHz up to 200 kHz
- Internally supported sample rates: 44.1 kHz up to 768 kHz
- Standby power consumption: 120 mW (10 mA)
- Idle power consumption: 7 Watts, Max. power consumption: 18 Watts
- Included power supply: external switching PSU, 100 – 240 V AC, 2 A, 24
The RME ADI-2 upgrades on the first generation DAC in reducing distortion levels. The vast features and slick look add more crisp, which is hard to find in one place. The headphone amplifier is powerful and can drive most headphones with high fidelity and authority. The records of its performance are hard to breakthrough.
Overall the combination of performance and features give it a strong recommendation.